Alinta's blog try number 3

Monday, March 13, 2006

Week 3 Collections

Collections

After thinking long and hard about what I collect the only thing I can think of that I really collect other that boring things like DVD’s was that I collect pictures of people that I know and I collect information and pictures of people who I don’t like and create dossiers on them. This got me thinking along the lines of some sort of security mainframe collection. But this is a bit… I dunno… clichéd… and just crap I dunno. I shall add more to this blog........ obviously.... this was just writing in class....

Maybe I should make fictional… stuff… also thinking about how these pictures link together with the images. Eg, the photos also represent memories of times – proof of the past, etc. So maybe I could make like a story just out of images linking together. Almost reminiscent of a graphic novel type thing etc, almost animation with how the images are similar etc. But I’m not sure if I have images like that. Hmmm…

Oh just had a thought, I also went thru a stage of collecting funny junk mail back when the junk mail they used to send me was actually funny. I have 50 or so of them maybe 100 I can’t remember but anyway they’re just weird abstract sentences and I call it ‘junk poetry’, a page for it would sort of have that kind of lost and found effect thingy, except totally random… what is the copyright on this??? I will elaborate on this soon..ish...

MAYBE I could link these together and create ‘memories’ etc to match these strange stories – eg. As if the stories were my FBI dossier that I have on people. Am I creepy? Anyway… but that’s like saying make text about the text instead of text about the images. Maybe its’ the images that I’ll have to create in this case.

More final thoughts: Concentrate on the junk mail. Junk mail as signs. What is this junk mail saying about people? Etc… really – I have no idea what it’s saying about people! But you’d have to read it to get that… an example of this junk mail is below, this particular one a friend fwded to me (as everyone knew about my love of them) for my birthday in 2004, how nice! –

chain saw fetishists living with 462

"Denny, although somewhat soothed by around marzipan and cloud formation behind alchemist.But they need to remember how ostensibly food stamp behind deficit self-flagellates.Still prefer her from line dancer from inferiority complex, pee on her beyond chess board with related to power drill.Unlike so many trombones who have made their mean-spirited labyrinth to us."

Hmmm.... yes.... damn those mean-spirited trombones!! And pee on her beyond the chess board I say!! I wonder what terrible feminist rants I could go on about the peed on woman holding the power drill... bah probably nothing that hasn't already been said before! Oh well...

********

I'm writing this the next day (wednesday) but I like to keep it in here so it's neat with one blog per week. However if you were wondering, I am the total opposite to a neat freak!...

Further Ideas

So I’ve been having trouble with having some sort of genius break through on my junk poetry, other than brainstorming about the word ‘junk’, which led me to wonder what the hell kind of ‘career outcomes’ I’m going to get from that… now when I think of the word ‘junk poetry’ I hear sweet little tunes being banged out on musty cans at the dump. (In case things are different in America, a ‘dump’ is that place where they take all the rubbish and let it cartwheel around in a big whole where lots of animals can kill themselves).

I do most of my thinking when I really should be trying in vain to get to sleep, and so this is what I thought last night… I was thinking about how I’m so envious of all these interesting people who collect all this interesting stuff like dust or whatever, but you know, it’s enviable!! So I started to think ‘why DON’T I collect anything like that???’ I thought of how I often think to myself things like ‘if my house burnt down what would be the one think I took obviously other than my family and my pets?’ and since I couldn’t exactly rip my computer out of the wall while a fire was blazing, I would probably leave everything. So maybe I don’t collect due to this paranoia about losing it? Or a ‘beaten’ understanding that I will at some point lose it. Now this could be an idea far bigger than something due this week (coz I really like it) but I want to make a sort of game type thing where you build up bits of stuff (junk, whatever, ‘goods’) on your screen and because u have to work to get each one (type in a password maybe, maybe a password relating to a story about the item you are about to receive, and if u remember the password then you are worthy of said item), you will create a connection with this stuff because you have spent time and focused yourself to get it. Then when you lest expect it you hit a button just like all the others you’ve hit before and suddenly all your items disappear. And you have to start again from scratch building your empire again. I don’t mean in a weird sim city way, I mean far simpler than that! I mean more like ‘wow there’s a toaster hanging in the corner of my screen’ that may be the level of animation involved at this stage in flash that I am at… I’m not even sure how I’ll get the password thing to happen. ANYWAY I was thinking this great creation would also be interesting in the psychological sense of seeing how many times people would try to build up stuff, and how long it would take to realise it’s futile, and who would persist anyway and take the chance? By this you could see who was more emotionally attached to stuff. This would work better with competitive people because they would be the most saddened and effected by the fact that they had just lost everything they’d worked for, and they would reach the desired outcome of getting very pissed off at the screen. Strange thing to have as a desired outcome you say, but it’s about gaining an emotional response of sorts out of people, although it probably won’t be a hugely big response seeing as hell it’s only my stupid flash thingy…

********

Ok so it's now friday night on the wee st patty's day. But where am I? sitting here in front of this computer no less. Listening to all the cool things Mick and Kaya are doing for their flash pages. Bugger them!! So i got this code thing but i realise the same code comes up if i go to geturl anyway, but it doesn't work when i do test movie... I'm not sure whether i attach it to the fla file or the swf file, either way half my files haven't generated swf files so if they have to connect to the swf's then i'm somewhat screwed. So i have this page right and it has text on it and it links (or is supposed to) to this other page that also has text on it or you can link to this other page that links to another page where the text jumps around a bit!! Insane!! I'm enjoying the idea of just pressing a thousand buttons and then pressing test movie and seeing what comes up. It could be my chaos theory collection - and you can see if you can find a pattern in the randomness of what has been collected on the screen by all my button pressing. Doesn't that just excite the socks off you? It surely does to me, I can't find any socks in sight! So yeah oh i also made this other page that does nothing basically... hmmm... I have no idea what I'm going to do when we have to make our bit 40% thing or however big it is... Aha good old mick has told me how to get swf files made for each fla. Who knew it'd all be so difficult! I now have an intro page as well!

********

It's not saturday or sunday I'm not sure but anyway I signed up to a Flash Forum the other day and have made my first post! Their site slogan as "everything a tutorial" oh how sweet and optimistic. I thought his would be a good and studious move in terms of having somewhere to ask questions. I read through some of their posts to see if i could make sense of any of it but their flash-lingo was so out of my league that it went over my head, and after they fattled off in "actionscript" talk for pages they then proceeded to say "oh I'm only very new to this". LIKE HELL. I'll show them 'new to this'1 So that is my latest flash progress. Maybe I should see if Mr Arcticachre (not sure on spelling!) is on this site...

I'll be without a computer from now until monday night so until then my flash (and internet in general) wants, needs and hopes are thwarted. But hopefully I'll be back into all my dread homework after that. Oh PS reason why there is no computer is because it is locked at the uni having flash 8 put on it *very very angry face*. I hate you flash 8.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home